You are here : Home > About Us
|Established in 1982 as an auxiliary of the Democratic Party of Arkansas, the Arkansas Democratic Black Caucus promotes the election of Black Americans to all levels of office within the Democratic Party as well as to public office. The Arkansas Democratic Black Caucus also relates the Black perspective to the Democratic Party of Arkansas. The Arkansas Democratic Black Caucus is an official arm of the Democratic Party in Arkansas. It provides a vehicle, within the Democratic Party of Arkansas|
to address the special needs and concerns of Black Democrats. Black Americans are a major constituency of the Democratic Party, as are the Senior Democrats, Young Democrats of Arkansas, and the Democratic Women.
The objective of the Arkansas Democratic Black Caucus is to achieve proportionate representation of Black Democratic public officials, elected or appointed in Arkansas; foster the election of and monitor the performance of all elected officials; disseminate information to the Black community through effective communication; assure that all governmental policies, programs, and practices are filtered through the Black perspective in order that the results of such policies and programs accrue equitably to the benefit of Black Arkansans.
The goals of the Arkansas Democratic Black Caucus are to:
- Unify Democrats within the party in Arkansas;
- Develop a greater voice in party policies and procedures;
- Provide methods of better representation of Black Democrats;
- Involve greater number of Black Arkansans in party affairs;
- Develop greater political organization and expertise;
- Broaden the base of the Democratic Party in the Black community;
- Provide leadership development and political/voter education to the membership and the community at large;
- Raise funding to support our initiatives, candidates and goals.
The Arkansas Democratic Black Caucus meets on the second Saturday of each month at the William A. Gwatney Democratic Headquarters (DPA) located at 1300 West Capitol Avenue in Little Rock, Arkansas.
General meetings are typically from 11:30 am until 1:00 pm.
For more information about upcoming events as well as general meetings, visit our facebook page.